Sentence Sorting - Grammar Game



Mom cooked up a game to identify the 4 types of sentences. We cut out strips of sentences from old books and magazines. I assigned values to each type of sentence. For instance, an imperative sentence is worth 25cents, an exclamatory is 10cents, an interrogative is 5cents and the declarative is worth 1cent. I then drew each sentence strip from the pile and identified the type. If identified correctly, I get the assigned money. At the end of the game, I earned a total of $4.59 which I will be using to buy my favorite Bakugan Toy. Ofcourse mom will pitch in $10 more for the toy and also I have about $5 left in my Food Pyramid Game Locker.
This game introduced me to the sentence types all the while reinforcing my reading skill as I have to read out the sentences. And since mom had not sorted the coins, I had to pick the right coin from the coin tray for each sentence type - there I goes my money skills. And at the end of the game, I counted the money I made through this fun activity and oh yeah, that was money math! Above all, I earned my toy..there goes the lesson on life and practicality:You got to earn your bread!
Wonder how many declarative, interrogative, exclamatory, imperative sentences are in this post?! Play this game and think through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment