Place Value & Money Game


.....
Mom invented a new game to help me understand place values and money.
As always, I won the game. Also I enforced my place value concepts - the Ones and Tens. We will play the level 2 of this game with Hundreds place when I master this level. Oh yeah and we introduced a rule to double the reward at one point, so I practiced my addition (and a bit of multiplication too).

Place Value & Money Game

Author: Thenu Tamil, A homeschooling mom

Objective: To earn the 'One Dollar Bill' and reach the 'Winner' Spot first.

Materials:

  • Atleast 2 sets of Number Tiles from 1 to 9 (Can substitute Flash cards, Playing cards, magnetic numbers etc) U can include some Jokers/wild cards too to add more fun.
  • A Game board with a start and finish space marked. Add few spins like go ahead 2 spaces, lose a turn, go back 1 space etc to spice it up.
  • A tray of coins (pennies, dimes, nickels, quarters)
  • A Dollar bill
  • A Decimal system illustration with ones, tens, hundreds marked
  • 2 or more playing pieces

Rules:

  • The eldest start first
  • From the pile of numbers (face down), draw 2 tiles.
  • Try to make the Highest possible number using the Decimal board.
  • If the number is the highest possible, then player moves his playing piece the number of spaces as shown in the 'ones' place.
  • IMPORTANT: Player has to read the number and say how many ones and tens and hundreds in that number to proceed. say the number is 65, he has to say "Number is Sixty Five. It has 6 tens and 5 ones)
  • And he collects that many pennies from the bank
  • He then tries to convert the pennies to nickels or nickels to dimes or to quarters etc
  • If he makes a mistake in forming the number, he has to move back a space.
  • The next player continues.
  • Whoever gets to the finish point with the dollar bill is the winner.
  • If he reaches the winner spot but hasnt earned the dollar bill yet, he has to go back to the start but for every space ahead from his next turn, he gets twice the pennies as the ones in the number he forms. For example if he makes 65, then he gets 10 pennies ( 65 has 5 ones. so two times 5 = 10 pennies)
  • When player lands on any special space with instructions, he simply follows the instruction.


Goals of the Game:

  • To teach/practice place value concepts.
  • To teach/practice money value like 5 cents = 1 nickel, 2 nickels = 1 dime, 4 quarters = 1 Dollar etc
  • To teach/practice the addition/multiplication facts: 2*2, 3*2, 4*2, 5*2 etc

3 comments:

  1. you games look great.my dd is stuggling with place vaule and I can't figure out a game to teach her. could you possibly explain how you play it to me.
    thanks so much
    vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vicki,

    I am more than happy to share the rules with you. It is kinda big for this comment section. If you dont mind send me your mail id as a reply to this comment. Since I have enabled comment moderation, your mail id will not be posted online and I wont spam you either. ;-) I shall mail you th erules to your personal mail id.
    Let me know if you are not fine with this idea..then we shall think of an alternative. In anyways, I am happy we met through the blogosphere. Have fun teaching ur dd. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi thenu
    its very interesting to see a site like this and a family like this too.. im mightily impressed. I want to have more details on this game and more..
    priya

    ReplyDelete